50 in 30

once a day to day rundown of my participation in the National Novel Writing Month challenge, this Blog will now document my fiction writing in general

Monday, January 24, 2005

Hello Old Friend


A big part of my process happens away from pen and paper or the keyboard. I like to think things through. I'll do this in bed at night before going to sleep, in the shower, or on my way to and from work. Ideally, if I can spend a few solid months with an idea in my head then the writing itself should be fairly easy.

Now that I've taken almost 2 months off from my NaNoWriMo novel, it seems like I should be ready to jump back into it and finish it off. Sounds reasonable, but there's just one problem. My first novel has been occupying a lot of my fiction-based thoughts lately. The first draft is long finished, but I never gave it a proper edit. I think now might be a good time for that.

I have no aspirations of re-writing the thing, but a polish will at least bring it up to a state where I am comfortable showing it to people. I also think that in the time that I've been away from it I have grown quite a bit and had experiences that could only help make the novel better.

I've already re-worked the opening in my head and I have plans to modify other key portions. I'm giving myself until April to see how it goes. If I can't sort things out or feel that I am wasting my time by then, I'll finally put the manuscript (actually it's a 3.5 diskette) in the bottom drawer of my desk for good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home